Monday 2 July 2012

Pages of Style #1: Including the Bard


Once Better Half and I had chosen our date and venue I knew I wanted to include in some way one of Shakespeare's work.

Since Midsummer Nights Dream caught my imagination when I studdied it at school I have loved the alternative world he created and have since enjoyed many more of his plays. I have to confess that I like to describe the style for our wedding as 'The enchanted forest from MSND in the middle of winter', however the very fact that we are getting married in January has led me, instead, to steer towards a differnt work.
 Another reason for the inclusion of his work is that the Bard is said to have performed in the Guildhall.

While I have already selected some quotes we could include on the order of service and a possible reading for the ceremony. I also want to include the text physically, by making decoration from copies of the play.

If you have spent any time on wedding or craft selling sites like Etsy will have seen the beautiful creations from pages of old books. I realise that for some people the idea of cutting up books and creating decorations out of them would be disrespectful and close to sacrilegious, however I do not hold to this philosophy and simply see stunning oportunities for hand crafted decorations for the wedding.
Before I got carried away I did check with BH half that he liked the designs I was considering and that he was comfortable with me cutting up old books.


Over the next few weeks I will share some of the fabulous ideas I have come across as well as some of my own creations - I hope you will enjoy the journey and share your own ideas and share your thoughts.

TTFN ~ Kate xx

PS I leave you with the face of Shakespeare from St Mary's Guildhall, Coventry. What do you think he would make of weddings today and using his work as inspiration?

No comments:

Post a Comment