Thursday 2 August 2012

Veiled in Confusion

Variation on a Birdcage Veil

To veil or not to veil...? It's a question that I think every bride asks, even if its only for a few seconds to confirm her choice.
I remember when I was a teenager, being in the car with mum and driving past a wedding. Mum made a comment about the bride in a veil and Lorna (my sister) and I both said we wouldn't wear a veil when we got married, this slightly shocked my mum at the time, as for her a bride wears a veil.

Since I've been engaged I have known how I want my hair - down and curly with a homemade hairpiece or two, and I remained adamant I didn't want to wear one, right up to the point I started trying on dresses.


Then the world of veils was open up to me....
I knew there was a selection, but I would never have dreamed of the detailed terminology there is in the area.

Firstly what length do I want?
I knew I definitely didn't want a birdcage, having a traditional full length gown and a formal wedding, I knew it was not right for the occasion. I also think a shoulder length veil (especially a very poofy one) looks ridiculous on short girls, & I'm only 5'3"!
Likewise a veil that is as long as my dress (chapel, cathedral or regal) would not suit the small, intimate village church we had chosen.
This still left me with a host of length options from elbow to knew length. I have to admit to standing in a mirror with a tape measure trying to imagine what they would look like.

Clockwise from top left: Beautiful Birdcage Veil, Veil length GuideShoulder Length
Cathedral LengthKate Middleton (my favourite)

Next, decision is material, trim and scatter...
Some veils come in a fine net, these tend to quite stiff, the thread thick and a honeycomb pattern to them. The other option is tulle; there is a choice of 'standard' or silk, some companies (especially in America) offer 'Bridal illusion' but I think that's just the non-silk tulle. In some cases you also have a choice of fine or firm...

Trim is how the veil is edged and there is a long list: from cut edge to lace or crystal, and scatter if the amount and spread of crystals across the material.
I have found the easiest way to understand the options is to look at a veil websites Wedding Veils Direct were very helpful.
L-R: 1) Lace Edge Veil 2) Coloured Ribbon edge 3) Crystal scatter 4) Pearl edge
3 Tiered Veil

Gather, blusher and tiers
These are the two elements that I find the easiest to understand.
Gather is simply how much the material is pulled together at the comb. The more gather the narrower it is at that point & the poofier the veil. There are 3 options: no gather, part or half gather and full gather.
The blusher is where the veil covers the face.
The tiers are how many layers, often different lengths down you back, of veil you would like.
If you have a blusher you will have a 2 tier (at least) veil, but you don't have to have a blusher if you want 2 or more tiers.



Just as I started to get my head around the choices, vintage styles began to become popular, Kate Moss and Lily Allen both wore beautiful 1920's Juliet cap designs; during the 1980's a variation had been popular, and were worn by my mum, future mother-in-law and my Aunty, which incorporated a solid hat or wide band with the veil attached.
I don't this the very loose version would suit me, nor the dress & wedding, but perhaps the 80's version would suit. Maybe I should try my mum's veil and see if I could wear that?

Kate Moss' beautiful boho Juliet cap veil
sourced here
Drop veil
Not the Bridezilla!

Shortly after I started looking into wedding dresses I saw an episode of Bridezillas, normally I'm not keen on their choice of outfit, but this bride was wearing a very simple veil that fell over her, no comb or gather. As I tried to describe it to mum i found myself saying 'imagine a child dressing as a ghost under a sheet, it sits like that'. I like this style, and its not dissimilar to the veil the Duchess of Cambridge wore, except she used a tiara to secure the tulle. While I'm trying to avoid 'Kate does Kate', I would be happy to heve her veil as it was stunning.

Off to research more options and seeing what would be within my budget.

TTFN ~ Kate xxx

1 comment:

  1. I think you'd suit a light, finger tip length veil and I'm with you on the "ghost style". I think they're gorgeous and easy to remove when the dancing gets going without damaging the hairstyle!

    ReplyDelete