Friday 7 September 2012

Invites: On My Marks

I have had this post drafted for a while now, and have wondered whether it would give too much away for my guests, but as they will be recieving their invites soon, I thought I'd share some of my basic ideas.
A selection of the invites we have received in the last couple of years
We are about 4 months until our wedding and I have spent the last few weeks going cross-eyed as I cut the different elements so I can soon start assembling our invitations.
For each package there are 4 sheets that form the invites and additional info, 3 parts to the RSVP and 2 decorative parts, times that by 75 and its a lot of cutting!

The invitations has been one thing that has been a true compromise between BH and I, as we have rather different tastes:
He would have something very simple, elegant and traditional, he doesn't like calligraphy looking fonts and he wouldn't bother with additional info, rather send an email. Where as I want the invite to be very hands on with lots of detail and handmade design and I LOVE calligraphy looking text.
So coming up with the final design took a few redrafts. A few months ago I shared with you the fonts, colour and paper we had chosen.

We now have a final design:
We have chosen a pocket fold case; the center, flat part will hold the invite to the service.; simple black text on pearlescent card secured with photo corners so it can be removed and put on a shelf/mantelpiece.
The pocket will hold the reception invite, directions and an additional info sheet: providing local hotels, information about photography, confetti, dress code, gifts and full contact details for my mum.
Clockwise from Top left: Portrait Grey and yellow, Landscape Baby BlueBrown with ribbon tie,
Grey with blue & yellow details, Square Pale Blue & Turquoise with titled inserts, Yellow invite with red leaf details,
A5 Christmas themed invite with tartan and ribbon detail, Fir cone detail with a woody brown detail,
Green with Paisley design and Red 3 section, duel language pocketfold invitation
To create the decorative/crafty element, and to satisfy my 'Bridezilla' tendency that the invite has to reflect us and have something handmade, we have decided to add a 'bellyband' around the folded card. This also allows me the opportunity to add some rustic texture to an otherwise formal item.

Clockwise from top left: 'M 'monogram floral fabric and ribbon, Yellow 'French Country' solid band with vintage framing,
Modern Grey with wedding date, Yellow bubbles with initials, Simple white and featuring couples storyBaby Blue Bow
As well as the bellyband I am adding a crafted touch with 2 stamped details.

As we know we have several friends and family with food allergies and also need to know if people would like space on a bus, we are including an addressed (but not stamped) RSVP card to make life easier for guests and our parents.


So here is my invite sneaky peak; these are the materials for our invitations:
2x custom cling stamps & acrylic bloc
Hessian fabric
Natural Charms grey stitch ribbon
Pocket fold in laid card
3 fold card in pearlescent card
Purple and petal paper
RSVP sticker
Matching card in laid and pearlescent for inserts


Once we sent all our invites i will provide a more detailed post with lots of photos of the final design.

TTFN ~ Kate xx


No comments:

Post a Comment